Press Release: Responsible finance to ethnic minority households - Difficulties and challenges
(VBSP News) Vietnam Bank for Social Policies reported total outstanding loans of nearly VND 31,648 billion for ethnic minority households, accounting for 22.5% of total outstanding loans, with almost 1.45 million active borrowers. Average loan size of VND 22 million per household, the overdue rate of 0.3%.
However, the implementation of policy credit programs for ethnic households faces some difficulties and challenges, more or less impact the effectiveness and efficiency and humanity of these programs.
The policy credit programs for ethnic minority households
Regarding the capital resources to implement the program, the limited resource to implement credit programs for ethnic minority households is the most challenging. Due to limited capital resources from the State Budget, VBSP has not received sufficient and timely funds to implement some credit programs for ethnic households in 2014 and 2015.
Regarding the loan term, under the Decisions by the Prime Minister, under the credit programs for ethnic minority households, the maximum loan term is 05 years (60 months) and the grace period does not exceed 05 years. However, in reality many borrowers still cannot repay debt after the grace period and classified as overdue debt, which puts negative impacts on the life of poor ethnic minority households and effectiveness and feasibility of the programs.
Regarding the loan size, under the proposals from the National Assembly delegates and electors nationwide and the evaluation missions, the prevailing loan size is small and inadequate to current production requirements for capital . As a result, the expected effectiveness of the policy credit is not met completely.
Ethnic minority households
Almost ethnic minority households live in mountainous areas with disadvantaged natural conditions.The hard weather is badly affected by such natural disasters as: storm, flood, terrible and long-lasting coldness, which damage production and assets, and make the ethnic minority households falling again into poverty. Furthermore, the ethnic minority households live far away from the center; with bad transportation and underdeveloped conditions; poor infrastructure for production and livings; limited areas for agriculture cultivation.
The education level of ethnic minority households is still low. Over the past years, many ethnic people of ethnic households, who borrow money from VBSP for migrant working, do not meet the high requirements of some labor importing markets, particularly markets with high offered income. In addition, as having low awareness to strictly follow working regulations, some workers have poor industrial work style, some quit job before the contract termination date or violate the contract etc. Furthermore, the capacity, costume and method of production of certain ethnic minority households are still ineffective and under the self-supply manner.
Collaboration with partners
As the connection between technical support, technology transfer of State partners, enterprises and mass organizations with credit support of VBSP is still weak, the effectiveness of policy credit for sustainable poverty alleviation is still restricted.
In some areas, the capacity in management, lending collaboration and training of mass organization staff is still limited.
- Newsletter Vol 25
- Financial literacy for the poor and other disdadvantaged groups
- Assessment of the World Bank on the role and achievement of Vietnam Bank for Social Policies
- Vietnam Bank for Social Policies is currently the leading microfinance provider in Vietnam and one of the largest microfinance providers in Asia
- Big step forward in awareness and action
- Pilot program for potential customers before working in the Republic of Korea
- Local resources need to be strengthened to support the poor and other vulnerable groups affected by Covid-19
- Hanoi supports disadvantaged groups to overcome impacts of COVID-19
- The poor receives VBSP’s support after damage caused by COVID-19
- VBSP supports disadvantaged people and workers affected by Covid-19 pandemic
- Press Release: Inclusive finance in disadvantaged regions- recommendations from the community
- Press Release: Nearly 148,000 ethnic minority families have access to preferential loans
- Press Release: Poor households, livestock raising and afforestation households can take preferential loans with interest rate of 1.2% / year
- Press Release: VBSP accompanies with Cap La Yeu Thuong (Pairs of Leaves for Caring)
- Press Release: The 20th anniversary of founding the Bank for the poor - the predecessor of Vietnam Bank for Social Policies (31/8/1995 – 31/8/2015)
- Press Release: More than 30,000 households who have just escaped poverty access to preferential loans worth 1.06 trillion VND
- Press Release: Soft loans offered to households having just escaped from poverty
- Press Release: The lending interest rates for near poor households and some policy credit programs has been decreased from June 5th, 2015
- VBSP’s total loans outstanding growth by 10% in 2015
- Loan classification respond with the operation characteristics of VBSP
- VBSP attended National financial inclusion strategy to 2025 with a vision to 2030 conference
- Ensuring preferential funding for disadvantaged students
- The address for the poor and policy beneficiaries in Tuyen Quang province
- Financial literacy app for the poor, women, low income, MSMEs and other last-mile populations
- Participation of local authorities in VBSP's activities
- "Midwife" for young people to get rich
- Savings and credit group model: Best practice from VBSP
- Providing rural financial services for the poor: Best practice from VBSP
- Accelerating access to financial services for the poor: Best practice from VBSP
- Newsletter Vol 25
LENDING INTEREST RATE
DEPOSIT INTEREST RATE